Stuff I ♥
I love to share resources, technologies, tools, and gear that can make life easier and more enjoyable – or are just plain cool to use. Post a comment on the blog or send me a tweet @nmeffert to let me know what books you’re reading, services you’re using, and what tools and gear you’re experimenting with.
Here’s the menu:
The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom Jonathan Haidt has an approach to answering the question “What Makes Us Happy?” that is, at the same time, passionate, curious, and deeply scientific. If you’ve ever wondered how you can be happier, and why some people are happier than others, check this book out.
Dominion In 2009, it won the prestigious Spiel des Jahres and Deutscher Spiele Preis awards. It was one of five winning games in American Mensa’s 2009 MindGame competition. Buy it. Invite some friends over. Play it. You’ll love it.
Poor Charlie’s Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger, Expanded Third EditionCharles Munger, Warren Buffet’s longtime partner at Berkshire-Hathaway is, hands down, one of the most important modern philosophers. We’re lucky he’s still alive. Here’s a transcript of one of his more famous talks. Wisdom like this is rare. Enjoy.
IMPROVE MAC PERFORMANCE
AppZapper You’d think it would be that easy to delete an app — just a matter of dragging it to the trash. But it’s not. Apps install support files on your computer that generate clutter. Introducing AppZapper. Simply drag one or more apps onto AppZapper. Then, watch as it finds the extra files and lets you delete them with one click.
SuperDuper! SuperDuper is the wildly acclaimed program that makes recovery painless, because it makes creating a fully bootable backup painless.
Xslimmer By removing unnecessary code from fat binaries and stripping out unneeded languages, Xslimmer frees space wasted by unused code and increase your Mac’s performance. Some of users have reported applications loading in almost half the time.
Alsoft DiskWarrior 4.0 DiskWarrior helps you eliminate directory damage available for any computer. Instead of patching the original directory, it builds a new replacement directory using data recovered from the original directory, recovering files and folders that you thought were lost and that no other program could recover.
CREATE, EDIT, AND SHARE DOCUMENTS FROM ANY COMPUTER
Google Docs I use Google Docs for everything. The only reason I keep MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on my computer at this point is to edit my Google Docs. The interface is simpler, more intuitive, and I can create and edit any document at any computer as long as I have access to the internet.
CloudHQ I use CloudHQ connect and back up my Google Docs to Dropbox. Planned redundancy builds resilience into the system. Human and hardware errors happen. The cloud is not bulletproof. CloudHQ gives me piece of mind.
Dropbox With Dropbox (combined with CloudHQ), I can edit any of my Google Docs locally with a word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation software. This means that I can edit my Google Docs offline, and they’ll sync when I get in range of a wifi connection.
Evernote I use Evernote to archive non-working documents such as articles, receipts, notes (audio, written, photo), etc. I also use it to archive my emails. It’s an uber filing system. Evernote gives me two huge benefits: a paperless office and an empty email inbox.
CURRENT FAVORITE ALBUMS AND PLAYLISTS
I have a free Spotify account that I use to listen to about 80% of my music. The other 20% (mostly while I’m driving) comes through albums I purchase on iTunes and sync with my iPod. Yep. I’m old school.